Sunday, March 20, 2011

Saint Patrick's Day 2011

So, last week was Saint Patrick's Day.  I have always celebrated the holiday (I remember making Leprechaun traps when I was little), but I was excited for Saint Patrick's Day in Ireland.  My friend Pam, from NJ and Lyco, came to visit for the week.  She actually booked her ticket to visit me in Dublin before I had my plane ticket and before I had even paid my deposit for TCD.

First off, a bit of a history lesson.  Saint Patrick is one of three patron saints of Ireland (the others being Saint Bridgid and Saint Columba).  He was a 5th century missionary who came to Ireland from Great Britain.  He is credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland, and is said to have banished all the snakes form the Emerald Isle.  He used the shamrock to teach the Gospel, and used the three leaves to represent the Holy Trinity, with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit being one.  Now, we celebrate the day of his death to commemorate his life.  In Ireland, it is actually a Holy Day of Obligation for Catholics.

No more history.  Saint Patrick's day now is a week long festival, with events and attractions all over Ireland.  On Wednesday, there was a céilí, or Irish Dance, in Saint Stepehn's Green.  I tried my hand at some Irish dancing as well.

On the 17th, we headed on up Dame Street to stake out a good spot to watch the parade.  I was expecting a lot of bagpipers and Irish dancing.  There was some of the former, but none of the latter.  Instead, the parade was a lot like being at the Cirque du Soleil.  It was interesting and a fun time.

After a short afternoon break, and trip to the carnival, and some dinner, we went out to the pub for another Saint Patrick's day tradition, Guinness.  The day was a bit more subdued than I was expecting it to be, but it still was a lot of fun, and I would love to be back in Ireland for next year's celebration!
Me and Pam

Dame Street







Ferris Wheel at the Carnival

View of Merrion Square from the Ferris Wheel

South Dublin and the Wicklow Mountains from the air

Dublin from the air

2 comments:

  1. Wow! They sure know how to put on a parade! Thanks for a great story. Miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pictures and videos! Miss you Jordan!!

    ReplyDelete